Taking Care of Your Chromebook
Students are responsible for the general care of the Chromebook they have been issued by the school.
Chromebooks that are broken or fail to work properly must be taken to the Blackduck Tech Team as soon as possible so that they can be taken care of properly. District-owned Chromebooks should never be taken to an outside computer service for any type of repairs or maintenance. Students should never leave their Chromebooks unattended except locked in their hallway locker.
a. General Precautions
- No food or drink should be next to Chromebooks
- Cords, cables, and removable storage devices must be inserted carefully into Chromebooks
- Chromebooks should not be used or stored near pets.
- Chromebooks should not be used with the power cord plugged in when the cord may be a tripping hazard.
- Chromebooks must remain free of any writing, drawing, stickers, and labels not provided by the District.
- Heavy objects should never be placed on top of Chromebooks
- Each student in Grades 7-12 will be issued a protective case for his/her Chromebook that should be used whenever the Chromebook is being transported or not in use.
- Although the cases are reinforced to help protect the Chromebooks, they are not guaranteed to prevent damage. It remains the student's responsibility to care for and protect his/her device.
- Always transport Chromebooks with care and in school-issued protective cases. Failure to do so may result in disciplinary action.
- Never lift Chromebooks by the screen.
- Never carry Chromebooks with the screen open.
- The Chromebook screen can be damaged if subjected to heavy objects, rough treatment, some cleaning solvents, and other liquids. The screens are particularly sensitive to damage from excessive pressure.
- Do not put pressure on the top of a Chromebook when it is closed.
- Do not store a Chromebook with the screen open.
- Do not place anything in the protective case that will press against the cover.
- Make sure there is nothing on the keyboard before closing the lid (e.g. pens, pencils, fingers).
- Only clean the screen with a soft, dry microfiber cloth or antistatic cloth.
- Any time you leave your Chromebook on your desk, close the lid so no one can access your documents.
- Do not share your Chromebook with anyone unless your teacher asks you to do so--In that case, be sure to sign out before you hand your Chromebook to the other student.
- Do not share your password with anyone.